Our Light in the Darkness...

"For the Lord your God goes with you; He will never leave you nor forsake you."
~Deuteronomy 31:6

Sunday, March 9th.  To many the world stopped spinning that day.  A beautiful life was taken too soon.  Friends, family, and a community were left to mourn.  Hearts were full of sadness, grief, questions…hearts were broken.  Many were left wondering how they were going to be able to bear this.  But through this week of darkness, one thing has remained constant.  God was there.  He was there encircling every prayer, every tear, and every question.  I saw God this week…

I saw God keeping watch over a field, over a hospital.  As hearts were breaking and lives were instantly forever changed, God’s arms were holding us all.  I saw God giving guidance to an amazing team of administration, staff, and counselors as a plan of support was carried out in perfection.  I saw God give unimaginable strength to the students who had to walk into school without one of their own.  I saw God sitting in my classroom’s morning circle as I had to tell 14 little kids about a Blackjack who they all looked up to.  He was there.  I saw God on the knuckles of the little ones where the name “Mike” was written.  I saw God as groups of students huddled together in prayer.  I saw God as people clung to their faith.  I saw God as scriptures flooded Facebook.  When person after person shared the image “DB Strong Together.”  I saw Him embracing students as they stood in front of a poster filled with beautiful words about a wonderful friend.  I saw God in the words of support, encouragement, and love spoken between so many.  I saw God sitting in a room full of staff where emotions just spilled over.  He was there.  I saw God as a constant line of people stopped at a local store to pick up their t-shirts in Mike’s memory.  I saw God on a memorial table in the hallway.  Where flowers and posters from local schools shared support and sympathy.  I saw God holding tight to those who were weeping.  I saw God in the smiles and laughter as people shared stories of Mike.  I saw God on the posters written by the little kids.  “Have fun in hevin.”  “We love you.”  I saw God when a girls’ basketball team vying for the state tournament thought enough to have a bouquet of flowers waiting for our girls.   I saw God when a local school sent Hugs and Kisses to each of the elementary students.  I saw God on the screen of a Chromebook.  I saw God in the home of a family who just lost a son, a brother who they loved dearly.  I saw God as a whole community encircled them with support.  I saw God become a source of light in the darkness.

Yesterday, I saw God in a church completely filled with people who came to celebrate an amazing life.  He was there.  He was there as the church was filled with beautiful song.  I saw God surrounding a family with a church full of love. 

I saw God help a family, a school, a community be strong together…

As the days turn into months and months into years, I know this to be true…We will continue to see God.  For as it says in Deuteronomy 31:6, “He will never leave you nor forsake you.”  I pray that peace will come to the hearts of those still broken.  I pray the healing continues.  I pray for the family who will now move forward in a new normal.  I pray for comfort, for peace, for love in their lives.  And I pray that we all continue to hang tight to God’s promises. 


God was there…God is here…and God will continue to be.  

Comments

Popular Posts